Sunday, April 1, 2012

Both Bernart De Ventadorn and the Countess of Dia write about love and betrayal. Both start their poems with description of how wonderful love is. The countess writes, "I'm very happy, for the man/ whose love I seek's so fine." While Bernart De Ventadorn writes, " Of course it's no wonder I sing/ better than any troubadour: my heart draws me more towards love, and I am made better for his command."
Then both poets go on to write about the depression and betrayal they felt after love lost. Bernart De Ventadorn writes, "And when she took herself away from me, she left me/ nothing/ but desire and a heart still wanting." The countess describes her betrayal, "...so bitter I do feel toward him/ whom I love more than anything. With him my mercy and fine manners are in vain, my beauty, virtue and intelligence. For I've been tricked and cheated/ as if I were completely lothesome."

In each poem, the gender of the poet is clear to me as a reader. However, the emotions that both the men and the women expressed were the same. The difference is in the way the men and women respond to the love and loss. The poems written by the women tended to be shorter, more florid, and I would say more reserved. Whereas, the poems written by men went into much greater emotional detail. I found that to be interesting because in modern stereotypes, being overly emotional about love and loss is a feminine trait. I would say that these poems display the men's emotions at least as thoroughly, if not more thoroughly than the women's.

No comments:

Post a Comment